Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Skating Skills

My lesson with JJ on the 7:30 a.m. FS at Gilbert.

Today's lesson was all about skating skills...

  • edge drills -- JJ had me work on a very basic outside edge drill -- glide forward on a flat, then around a circle.  Each foot, forward and back.  While I certainly can do it, my circles are pretty large.  And backward my position is a bit stinky.  I need to def. work these as it directly attacks one of my weak points (deep edges).
  • cross strokes -- evidently JJ has been talking with Sonya!  These were basically the same as I worked on with Sonya a couple of weeks ago.  Ugh.  Although they have improved a little bit since then.  JJ emphasized that when the feet cross you need to feel you are shifting your weight *forward* which was a bit different for me.  Good stuff.
That's all we had time for, amazingly enough.  I was a bit concerned about this time slot but I managed to get to work on time so I guess it will work.  I would rather have kept the later time slot, but hey, you can't always get what you want.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home