Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Toe Loop

My lesson with JJ on the 8:15 FS at Gilbert. It was a bit more crowded than usual (8 people, 3 coaches), due to spring break I think. For today's lesson we worked on the toe loop. We mostly worked on the entry and especially the pick in and jump up. JJ says I'm doing it wrong (which is, I realized later, exaaaactly the same thing Sonya told me several months ago!). Apparently I try to jump by just straightening my knee and going up on the toe. What I am supposed to be doing is bending the ankle to dig the toe in while straightening the knee ("releve'" as JJ kept telling me. I kept reminding him I didn't take dance). So we worked on that a bit. I probably need to practice that toe lift kind of thing off ice, though it's harder in boots.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

  • At 7:48 AM , Blogger George A said...

    relevé--another reminder of how closely aligned figure skating is with ballet:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dim7AaoQrC8

     

Post a Comment

<< Home