Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Wednesday, March 05, 2014

Preliminary Test, B8s

My figures lesson with Lynne on the Chandler "Ice Cafe."

So this was our first go (well mine, it debuted yesterday but I wasn't there) at the Ice Cafe format.  We started at 11:50 with a 20 minute patch lesson, then the rest was freestyle as usual.

Lynne and Teri had laid out 20 patches on the ice, though we only had 8 people.  We drew lots for patch assignments.  They gave us the option of learning to use a scribe, or learning to lay out circles without a scribe.  Since I know how to use my scribe, I did the latter, along with half the group.

There was some actual value in this, as I had never taken the time to try stepping out my circles.  My circles are 8 steps wide.  After that I had some time so I worked on FO8, FI8 and waltz-8, and then we were out of time.

After that I grabbed my scribe and laid out some circles and then Lynne and I had our lesson:
  • Preliminary test -- FO8 was okay although the first LFO was a bit wide :-(.  FI8 was pretty good.  Waltz-8 we spent some time on.  After I made myself slow down and concentrate (i.e. the 2nd time through) they were better.  The RFO edge back to center is probably the weakest part now.
  • BO8 -- these were really good!  Good flow and speed and felt really solid.  There are some small things to work on of course, but I was pretty pleased.
  • BI8 -- ugh.  This is still a work in progress.  I'm really working on the push to keep my feet closer together and to do that with a good push.  Urgh.  These need a lot of work.
All in all it was pretty productive.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home