Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Sunday, March 09, 2014

2014 PCAS Showcase Light Entertainment

This morning I skated my "She Blinded Me With Science" program at PCAS.

I had practice ice at 7:30 a.m.  Didn't get as much sleep as I would have liked but I felt pretty well prepared.  Practice was okay (fairly crowded, but doable).  I warmed up the elements in the light program and practiced spinning with the glasses on.  I also warmed up some elements of the dramatic program but didn't try the salchow since I had the long lab coat on.  In general I felt pretty good.

After practice ice I rested in the (warm) cafe and ate an apple, then got my props set up and put on my wig and practiced getting the glasses on over the wig.  

I was skating second (yay!).  Went out for the warmup and ran though my elements and felt really good.  Ice was newly zammed and kinda slick and fast.  Came off the warmup and waited... then it was my turn.  Pushed my props to center ice and set up, took my opening pose and off I went!

Beginning went well, although I forgot to do the BXOs into the "wave" motion (I just pushed forward).  Spin was okay though short, maybe 1.5 revs (darn glasses, ugh).  The spiral felt pretty good (who knows, though?) and after that was fine and I was feeling pretty good... and then... yep!

I went into the "swimming" part and as I'd worked on, tried to get really low (I'd looked at the video from midwinter and felt like I didn't get low enough for it to look good).  Well, I got really low, but then somehow my weight went too far back and I fell back on the ice.  Grr!  No harm done but it was hard to get up promptly because the ice was so slick!  I tried to stay in character.  Got up and managed to finish on time although I had to omit the first hand-in-the-air pose and just went the very final pose.

And, I was done!  I think I forgot to bow though I'm not sure.  Skated off with my props and grabbed some tossies and got off the ice.

In the end I managed to eek out a 1st place finish (just barely) with two 1st ordinals and 3 2nd ordinals.  Skate buddy Melissa was 2nd with two 1st ordinals, two 2nd ordinals and a 3rd ordinal.  So it was close.  I was a bit surprised that I still got first even with the fall, but that's showcase I guess.

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • At 11:42 AM , Blogger George A said...

    The unintended fall might have propelled your score over the top since this was a light entertainment event! What the judges don't know will never hurt 'em.

    Congratulations--a win's a win! You're way ahead of anything I could "showcase".

     
  • At 11:39 PM , Blogger Gordon said...

    Thanks!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home