Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Waltz-8, BO8, Serpentines

My figures lesson with Lynne on the Chandler Ice Cafe.  The group lesson was on serpentines, and it brought up a couple of questions that I asked Lynne about later (see below).

Today's lesson:
  • waltz-8 -- we mostly worked on improving the exit from the 3 so that I don't get forward.  Part of this is because while I have the "down" - "up" I'm lacking the final "down"... which is a persistent problem.  We also looked at the step/push on to the BO edge; trying to get/keep my weight further back on the blade so I can actually step forward from it.
  • BO8 -- just a little time on these.  On the positive side I had good push and flow.  On the negative side... not a lot of control.  My circles were pretty wild and I didn't return to center well.
  • serpentines -- we came back to these.  I asked Lynne about two things I'd seen in the demonstration that were different from what I've been doing.  1) on the first half lobe, she brought her free leg forward smoothly after the push (so it was in front around mid-lobe).  I had been bringing it forward just before the change of edge.  2) the arm position at the beginning of the FI serpentine -- she had her skating arm forward, then switched arms at the FIO change of edge.  I'd done it with the free arm forward and no change of position at the change of edge.  So we experimented with both of these.  The first one did seem to help make the FIO change smoother.  The second was kind of hard to get used to and I'm not sure if I want to do it that way or not.  More work required.
I am going to Oregon next week on vacation and I'm looking forward to working with Coaches Sonya and Kelli :-) and seeing some skating friends!  When I get back the Chandler rink will be closed for renovation.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home