Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Thursday, July 18, 2013

Cross Strokes, Waltz Jump, Spins

My lesson with JJ on the 8:15 FS at Gilbert.  Good ice and only 5 skaters!

Today's lesson:
  • cross strokes -- we worked a bunch more on the forward ones; JJ wants me to keep my lobes small.  A bit frustrating but they did improve a fair amount so that's encouraging.  Then we worked on backwards!  He didn't make me actually cross yet, we just worked on skating the BO edges in small lobes with the free foot close. He insisted I keep my head up :-).  Ugh.  Lots to do on these.
  • waltz jump -- I hadn't jumped since 3/14.  They were fine (even the first one!) although a bit small and tentative.  We worked on taking time with them and doing a better setup.  Really, if I just take my time and concentrate I can do a pretty nice waltz jump.
  • spins -- ugh.  I think I freak about these because didn't get even one good one.  I think JJ wants the same as waltz jump, for me to take my time and concentrate but I have a harder time with it.  We did at least fix the entrance to be better.

Next lesson is Tuesday morning, and then Wednesday I have a lesson with Coach Kelli while I'm in Oregon.  YAY!

I'm announcing and running music for Cactus Classic at the Ice Den this weekend.  Should be fun!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home