Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Beginning Again, Yet Again

My lesson with JJ on the 7:30 a.m. FS at Gilbert.  Had an okay warmup... a little more comfy since Monday.

Today's lesson:
  • Stroking -- not really any feedback, just JJ getting a feel for how I'm doing.
  • BO edges -- I whined about these a little so we looked at them.  Some improvement; JJ got me to stand up a little straighter and to control the free leg more so it didn't get out of control.
  • cross strokes  -- I actually hadn't really done these before; just doing them down the line very shallow.  They were not so good, for the same reasons my swing rolls in ice dance weren't so great -- edges not deep enough.  Anyway we just worked on getting some better knee bend and cross.
  • mohawks -- I told JJ I had done some and they were about the same as ever.  Actually I took my time and they were not so bad; not so jumped as usual.  Good stuff.
Afterward we talked a little about some off-ice stuff he wants me to do -- there's a new gym franchise called Orange Theory Fitness that he wants me to try.  They do some good all-around workout stuff.  I will give it a try (first workout is free) as I really need to do *something*.

We also talked over some of the music choices for my new free skate.  Our conclusion was that he'd like me to get two of them cut, one for this coming season and the other for the next one.  Also we agreed on my new artistic light program (I'm going to ask Holly to choreo that one) so I can get that cut.  It's too late for any kind of free skating at Sherwood (it's only 6 weeks away) so next up will be Autumn Antics.  After that I'm probably going to try my free skate out at MidWinter Warmup in Escondido (?).

Lots to do!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home