Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Update On My Knee

As I think I mentioned previously my right knee has been bugging me for about two weeks, and so I took this week off from skating.   I went to the doctor today about it.

The summary is that while it might just be a muscle strain, the appearances are that it is a (small) meniscus tear.

If it's on the edge of the meniscus and small it can heal itself.  If it's a lengthwise tear or a large tear it probably won't and would require surgery.

After some discussion we decided to give it some rest for a month or so, with ibuprofen and ice as I feel I need it.  The doctor (he's a sports doc) said that some leg exercises (leg presses, etc. that don't involve any twisting) would help as they would promote blood flow.

So, not sure how this translates as far as skating.  I'm pretty paranoid right now about anything that involves twisting my knee which would seem to rule out turns and jumps and perhaps spins.  I may still be able to work on patch if I leave out waltz-8.

I'm going to take the rest of the week off from skating while I consult with my coaches.

4 Comments:

  • At 6:35 AM , Blogger George A said...

    Sorry to hear about your knee. Meniscus tears are, from what I've heard, quite painful. Hopefully rest and mild exercise will get you back on the ice sooner rather than later.

    I've given my knees a couple of good whacks during falls and even with D3O knee pads those incidents gave me a pause for thought.

     
  • At 6:18 PM , Blogger Gordon said...

    Thanks!

    This has not actually been that painful, which leaves me hopeful that it's a minor tear. On the other hand I have a high pain threshold.

    I'm pretty sure a knee pad wouldn't protect you from a meniscus tear; it's all about the twisting motion.

     
  • At 9:08 AM , Blogger George A said...

    No, a knee pad won't protect against a tear. In fact they are only so-so against blunt force trauma to the patella. My left patella still has an odd looking lump on the outboard side of that side's knee cap from repeated falls while practicing stuff going in my weak direction. Hopefully it will go away like the similar one I had on the other knee cap earlier this year! The maddening thing about injuries at our age is that they take forever to mend. Anyway, I hope your recovery and return to the ice is sooner rather than later.

     
  • At 6:06 AM , Blogger George A said...

    Gordon: How's the knee? Better I hope.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home