Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Sunday, March 10, 2013

PCAS 2013 Showcase Dramatic

I skated my Showcase Dramatic program "100 Years" today at Pacific Coast Adult Sectionals.  I was skating against a division I skater (21-30); although he has not yet (if I remember correctly) passed his Bronze test he had skated in the Bronze free skate but Pre-Bronze for this event.  It was just the two of us, and I skated second.  We shared a warmup with a group of Pre-Bronze ladies who skated after us.

I had not skated since the day before; no practice ice today as I figured I was better off getting a good night's sleep, especially since DST kicked in Saturday night.  I think it was the right call.  I was up around 7:30 to watch skate buddy Melissa skate, then had plenty of time to prep for my 12:15 skate.  I changed and got my skates on around 11:30 and took some time to loosen up and focus.  During the (large) group before mine I checked in with the ice monitor... and waited.

Finally it was time to warmup.  Out on the ice, and I had a pretty good warmup.  As I anticipated I needed a little extra time to feel the ice since I'd not skated that day yet.  Fortunately I feel pretty comfortable with the Dramatic program elements.  Warmed up spins, jumps and practiced a couple of chunks from the program.  Time was up and I went off the ice, waited, drank some water and took off my club jacket.

Time to skate!  Went out to my starting position, said a quick prayer and off I went... again it's mostly a blur.  Waltz jump felt okay, I set it up a bit better but it wasn't particularly high.  I had a small issue on the first of the RFO3s but nothing major.  I think the spin went pretty well.  Salchow was okay.  In generally I felt that I was moving pretty fast (for me) and I finished right on time, which made me pretty happy.

In generally I think that's the best I've skated that program -- even a little better than Autumn Antics, since this was full ice and I was right on time, and I think I looked up a little more and my movements were at least a little crisper.

Got a silver medal (or I will -- they ran out of medals! sheesh) but I'm happy with my skate.  I'll post video of them both when I get them.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home