Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Friday, March 08, 2013

A Dollar A Second!

This afternoon I had a great time hanging at PCAS and watching some really great skating.  It always challenges and inspires me to see the better skaters.

At one point we were watching some Gold ladies skate and there were some unsupervised small children being very noisy in the bleachers... jumping up and down, banging their feet, etc.  Finally I couldn't take it anymore, so as the little boy was noisily running toward me on the bleachers I stepped in front of him and said firmly, "Stop!  Stop running!"; then made a shushing gesture and told him to be quiet... and he did!  He went back next to his sister and was quiet.  Meanwhile a number of people in the  bleachers quietly said "thank you!".  It was kind of amusing.  I was glad I said something; it was really rude to be making so much noise while people who had worked so hard were trying to do their programs.

I had the pleasure of meeting blog reader Susan today.  It was nice to meet my other reader (lol!) besides skate buddy Melissa. :-)  In the course of our conversation we were discussing competition, why we do it, what we get out of it, etc., and Susan mentioned that we pay a dollar a second for the privilege of competing!

My initial reaction was -- that can't be right.  But then I did the math, and she's right.  I paid roughly $200 to do this competition (just the entry fee -- doesn't include practice ice, goodies, travel, costumes, etc., etc., etc.).   That $200 buys me two programs each 1:40 long, or 100 seconds each, so times two is 200 seconds of competition skating.  A dollar a second!  Eeeep!  Definitely a new perspective on this thing we call competitive skating.


2 Comments:

  • At 3:10 PM , Blogger Nancy said...

    Hey, you have at least one other reader! Not sure how I stumbled onto your blog but I enjoy reading about another adult skater. I only started about 4 years ago and I'm definitely a slow learner, slowed down a bit by recent surgery on my foot. Would enjoy watching you skate next time you compete in the Portland area.

     
  • At 3:00 PM , Blogger Gordon said...

    thanks Nancy! I usually compete at the Sherwood Invitational in August, hope you can come out!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home