Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Test, BO8, Serpentines

My figures lesson with Lynne on the Chandler coffee club.  I was running late due to the papal election (!) so basically I got on the ice and we started my lesson with no warmup.  Also I forgot my scribe!

Today's lesson:
  • Preliminary test -- under the circumstances it seemed it might be a nice opportunity to do the Preliminary Figures test since lack of warmup can somewhat approximate for nerves.  Since I'd not skated patch for something like 2 weeks it was a pretty good test.  Edges were okay; FO8 was okay for the most part.  FI8 was okay except the 2nd time around on the R foot I got way forward on my blade and wound up putting my foot down -- crap!  And on FI too, which is usually my best and favorite figure.  Waltz-8 was not great but perhaps the best I've done in a long time. 
  • BO8 -- these were a bit rough at first, I am trying to improve my posture and I am still struggling with this.  After a while I finally managed to get back to something that was more-or-less acceptable.  Keys are still to hold the free foot in front for at least 1/3 of the circle, and to keep the skating shoulder firmly back until the rotation.
  • serpentines -- these were actually really good!  I actually managed about 2 complete times around starting on the R foot, which is really a first.  Now, I realized later that my circles were probably a bit small (no scribe) but still I was really pleased.  We were short on time so I didn't get to try the L foot.
All in all a pretty good lesson considering my lack of practice.  I'm still really frustrated with the waltz-8.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home