Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Friday, July 12, 2013

Test Runthrough, BO8, BI8

Today I skated Chandler coffee club for my first figures lesson with Lynne since I've been back on the ice.  We started promptly at 12 so I didn't use my scribe.

Today's lesson:
  • FO, FI, BO, BI edges -- these continue to improve back toward what they used to be, but still a long way to go.  I need a lot more upper-body control.
  • FO8 -- not too bad, but some lapses of control that I was able to fix. I need to work more on stiffening my core and bending my knees more on the push.
  • FI8 -- not too bad.
  • waltz-8 -- including my first 3-turns since March!  Ugh.  They were not good 3s, very forced.  Not good tracing, and still no good control on the step forward.  Also I really need to watch the BO edge over the top of the circle.
  • BO8 -- still lacking in control for the upper body, but I did make it around.
  • BI8 -- yuck.  Just yuck.  Need to work these a lot harder to get it under control.
All in all despite my whining it's not nearly as bad as I feared.  I have a lot of work to do, though.  The Sherwood competition is only 6 weeks away or so (registration deadline is 7/26) so we'll need to decide what figures I can realistically hope to compete.

After my lesson I spent most of the remaining time working on serpentines.  Ugh.  My push is so weak now!

A correction -- MidWinter is in LA (Artesia) not Escondido.  Don't know why I thought that.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home