Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Friday, May 07, 2010

7th Skativersary!

Today is my 7th Skativersary!  7 years ago today I first set foot on the ice (really!) for my first lesson.  Wow!  What a long strange trip it's been, as the song goes.

It's kind of hard to describe my feelings on this.  Skating means so much to me!  It is often hard for non-skaters to understand, although I imagine many people who are into some sport or activity get attached in a similar way.  The feeling of skating a good edge at speed, or of a well-done jump, the adrenalin rush of doing something scary, or falling and realizing you are perfectly all right.... the cold wind in your face.... skating with some good music.  It's amazing.

When I started skating I wanted something to do that would be fun, and good exercise, and I think I had vague notions about wanting to skate forward and backward.  As so many others have experienced, after a while as you learn new things you get hooked and you want to do more... and more... and more!

Unlike some people I've known, skating has not generally come easily to me.  It has required a lot of effort, a lot of practice, and a lot of patience.  I have learned a lot from skating!  I've learned how to work hard day in and day out at something that was difficult, that required endurance and determination and perseverance.  I think that I have been fortunate in that I've rarely thought "I could never do that."  I have tried hard to avoid comparing myself to others, and just concentrate on what I could do and my goals.


I have been really privileged to meet some amazing, awesome, fun, kind, smart, caring people as a result of skating.  Skaters, of course -- but also skater moms and dads, coaches, club volunteers, officials, and others.  So many I could never hope to list them all, really.  You know who you are and I am very grateful for your love and friendship!

I've been especially blessed to have some amazing coaches -- Anna, Lucy, Sonya, Kelli, and now JJ and Lynne.  A good coach is gold!  It's such an intimate relationship -- a coach sees your struggles, your highs and lows, your crabby and cranky days, your exuberance, your falls, your successes.  In some ways for adult skaters especially, since the coach-skater relationship can potentially go on for a long, long time.  Thanks to my coaches for all their understanding, caring, determination, and hard work!

For the next year I have a lot of goals --
  • Pass Adult Pre-Bronze freestyle test
  • Compete at Cactus Classic (July)
  • Compete at the 2nd All-Figures Competition in August.
  • Pass Adult Bronze Moves
  • Solidify salchow, de-cheat the toe loop, and learn another jump
  • Solidify my spins
Other goals that are less definite are to take the Preliminary Figures test and to compete at the Sherwood Invitational in late August.

Wow!  that's a lot to do... I'd better get to work :-).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home