Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Friday, April 30, 2010

Waltz-8 Progress!

I had my figures lesson for the week on the Chandler coffee club, delayed from Wednesday.  Ice was good and about 5 skaters.  Before Lynne came on the ice I was warming up with edges and FI8s.

Today's lesson:
  • FO8s -- just a couple of minutes on these.  RFO8 not bad, LFO8 still needs work. They are improving though -- circles are usually about the right side and I'm doing a better job of holding the edge and making it (almost) around.  I'll keep plugging away.
  • step forward/BO mohawk -- worked on keeping the free foot close and keeping some tension in the free leg so I stand straighter.   Did some good ones so we went on to...
  • waltz-8 -- so we went to work on putting it all together.  Marked out where the 3 turns should be and did some on the L side, though I was stepping to a definite FI edge and couldn't get around.  Then we did some on the R side and wow! I was still stepping more to an FI or a flat but I was able to fix it and come back to center!  Woohoo!  Did it twice!  I was so happy I could just spit, it felt so great!
  • serpentine -- we had not looked at these in quite a while.  We just worked the FO-FI at this point.  It went reasonably well -- Lynne told me I need to be sure to bring the free leg through more quickly and sit back on the blade a bit more.  The biggest issue right now is that I am not getting enough push to really work on the rest of the serpentine since I pretty much get to the edge change and a little past and I'm out of momentum.  
 All in all a great lesson!  I was sooooo happy with my progress!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home