Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Power-3s, Spins, Salchow


My lesson with JJ on the 7:30 a.m. FS at Gilbert as usual.  Just 3 skaters and 2 coaches :-).

Today's lesson:
  • Power-3s -- precious little power in them yet!  I've been working a lot on gaining better control over my 3s, so we worked on that a bit.  I'm doing substantially better on the first one, but on the subsequent ones I've picked up some speed and I tend to get into a very rushed rhythm.  We worked on holding the edge before releasing the upper body and succeeding in moving the 3 about 1.5 - 2 feet, so that's a start.
  • Spins -- a lot of corrections on these.  Besides the ones I tend to focus on (holding back the free side until after the hook), we also worked on getting better knee bend on the step forward, and being more committed to the spin and also not stepping at such a right angle.
  • Waltz jump -- just a few of these.  I focused on keeping my head/chin up and not looking down at the ice.  It felt weird but I had good success.
  • Salchow -- as I told JJ, for some reason I'm not into this jump very much.  Despite that I did several nice ones (and a couple not so great).  Actually this jump is my 2nd-best jump after my waltz jump.  When it's on the timing is pretty good!  What it really needs is more ooomph, more jump, more height :-).
After my lesson I skated the 8:15 and worked more on my jumps and spins, as well as power-3s, 5-step mohawk, and FXOs.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home