Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Wednesday, April 07, 2010

Workin' The Waltz-8

Today's figures lesson with Lynne, on the Chandler coffee club as usual.

Today's lesson:
  • FI8/FO8 -- I had literally had like 2 minutes of warmup when we started.  The FI8 was actually not bad -- the first one on each side were kind of skidded, but the 2nd and 3rd one were pretty good, circle size a bit smaller than it's been (so about right) and I actually got all the way around!  FO8 -- not so good.  LFO8 in particular still weak.  Gaah.  It takes me several feet on that side to get a good edge, the circle is too large, and I'm not getting around on one push.
  • FO3s -- we continued where I left off yesterday, working to get the FO3s placed correctly for the waltz-8.  I was able to do this on both sides!  The RFO3 is a bit skidded though.
  • BO edge & step forward -- I also retained my progress on improving my BO edges from yesterday.  It occurred to me that my BO edge (even the RBO) in this context doesn't have nearly the knee-bend that my BO edges do when in isolation; so I worked to try to have that same approach.  It helped.  So the BO edges themselves are better.  The step forward is still problematic though since it's usually to an inside edge or a flat at best.  Grrr.
All in all the additional ice time I'm getting in patch is already paying dividends, it seems, and I just started.  I'm encouraged.  There's a lot of work to do before the all-figures competition in August though.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home