Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Spins & BO3 Prep

Today's lesson w/JJ on the 7:30 a.m. FS at Gilbert as usual.  This was a terrific skate!

Today's lesson:
  • spins -- we spent more than half our lesson this.  After 3 or 4 spins I got the BEST SPIN YET!!  I'll post a picture later.  JJ insisted that I take a picture of the print because it was really, really good -- much better than last week.  4 revs mostly centered!  And I stayed with it until I lost speed.  YAY!!  Of course the ones I did after were not as good :-(.  I was very excited.
  • BO3 prep -- at my request.  We worked into doing a back 2-foot turn on the hockey circle.  I had done these with Sonya before, I believe, but wow they are a lot easier now.
  • Speed trial -- we were actually over time (the 7:30 session was over) but JJ stayed a little longer and since we had the ice to ourselves he asked me to do a speed trial.  Instead of doing a lap, though, he had me skate an oval/figure 8 pattern around the ends and through the middle of the ice and around, first forward and then backward.  I did okay (we didn't time it) although when it came time to do FXOs on my not-so-good side at speed I chickened out :-(.   
After my lesson I stayed through the following session (until 9) and worked on a bunch of stuff.  Since I had the ice to myself I worked on the BXO to BO pattern from Bronze moves... not bad actually.  I did this several times and it has really improved a lot.  Also did a lot more spins, a few jumps, some power-3s, waltz-8, and some FO8/FI8 since they will be on the Bronze moves in September.  

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

  • At 9:23 PM , Blogger Simone said...

    Gordon, didn't you used to live in Albuquerque? I'll be there for a week in April (for a conference) and am wondering if I should bring my skates. There are two ice rinks, but neither seems to have adult time scheduled from what I can find on their websites. Let me know if you have any advice for me. Thanks,
    3turn
    http://3turn.livejournal.com/

     
  • At 9:43 PM , Blogger Gordon said...

    Hi! No, I did not live in ABQ, I was in Tucson. I've heard in the past that there is cheap ice in ABQ but that's all I know (and that was some time ago).

    I'd suggest calling -- I've known several rinks that had coffee club/adult skate but either didn't list it on their website at all, or did but in a very obscure spot.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home