Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Spins & Jumps

FS lesson with JJ on the 7:30 a.m. FS at Gilbert as usual.

Today's lesson:
  • spins -- worked on these first since I was so excited about my progress.  The keys seem to be the ones I'm already working -- hold the R arm/shoulder/leg back until after the hook and just let it come.  I did a 3-rev that wasn't bad (though not centered at all) and a few others that were almost as good (and several that were not good, of course).  I'm really excited about my progress.
  • waltz jump -- working to clean up some sloppiness that has crept in here as I'm tending not to come straight off the toepick (my R side is coming around too soon).  Some progress on this, it's all about the setup.
  • salchow -- I had done a couple nice ones during my warmup so of course I couldn't do a good one to save my life.  We worked on being more comfortable on the LFI edge before the jump so I don't rush it (JJ wants me to have a 3-count entrance before the turn AND a 3-count after the turn before the jump).  Made some progress on this and also being sure to have a nice curve and edge into the 3.
We had hoped to work on moves but it didn't happen today, so presumably next week.  It's spring break and they were having a skating camp so I didn't stay.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home