Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Thursday, April 23, 2009

Moves Polishing


Today's lesson was on the 8:15 FS... as usual, excellent conditions. Before my lesson I warmed up with some BXOs, stroking, edges, and FO8/FI8. Today was all about applying some of the feedback from Tuesday's critique.

Today's lesson:
  • FO8/FI8 -- I showed Sonya my traces from my 8s and commented that I'm still crossing my circles at the center (they should not cross). She gave me some feedback on my push that should help.
  • FXOs -- mostly we focused on posture and the transition between circles, making it shorter. We made some good progress. On posture I doubt I'll be able to do much about it (it's a longstanding problem) but the transition is relatively easily fixed and I should be able to retain that.
  • BXOs -- mostly the transition. This is a little more challenging for me (I'm tending to get going pretty fast) but we got it pretty much where we want it.
  • 3-turn pattern -- we focused on the step forward to the FO3. I really need to bring the soon-to-be-skating foot in closer than I think and get a good step/push onto the FO. I also need to be sure to stop the rotation (check the FI3 better). We made some really good progress on this; I need to reinforce it tomorrow with Kelli.
  • BO/BI edges -- we looked at the pushoff (stepdown), trying to keep the feet closer. This is mostly an issue on the BI (although it's present on BO as well). I was able to bring my feet a lot closer together and I think it's a fix that will stick, so that's good.
  • Waltz-8 -- just a minute on this -- placement of the 3 is pretty good, I'm doing a reasonably good job of holding the BO edge (although another couple of feet would be nice!), on the step forward the same corrections apply as from the 3-turn pattern.
All in all a really good lesson. I need to reinforce some of this stuff tomorrow, then just relax and let it flow. Testing Sunday a.m.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home