Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Friday, April 17, 2009

Test Prep


Today's Moves lesson with Kelli on the 8:15 FS. Before we started I did some FI8s in an arbitrary spot on the ice. They looked really good! Tracings were pretty close, usually 3 - 6 inches and often less. Centering was good. The only real issue was on the RFI8 the back half of the circle didn't line up very well with the circle from the other foot; it was a bit shallow.

Today's lesson:
  • Stroking -- I'm getting a little toepushing creeping in, need to be sure to push from the arch/middle of the blade. Need to bend knees more on the FXOs and push more to the side (esp. on CW), not so much back.
  • Edges -- FO and FI pretty good. BO I need to keep a little straighter and not let the rotation get in too earlier, especially on the L foot; and of course work to hold the foot in front or at least at the side longer. FI not too bad, but same comment about rotation.
  • FXOs -- Bend knees more and roll the ankle for a softer cross; push more out and not so much back.
  • BXOs -- Need to keep working to reach for a true BO edge on the CCW BXOs and to "stay seated" as Kelli always says. I got going really fast doing these and it was a little scary :-).
That's all we had time for today. After my lesson I worked on waltz-8 some more and a little bit of 3-turn pattern. Waltz-8 is coming along; I worked on holding the BO edge longer and straighter across the top (esp. on the R side). It's coming along.

I'm pondering making "flash cards" to remind me of 1 or 2 (no more) key points for each move to take to the test, since Sonya will not be there to put me on.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home