Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Monday, April 06, 2009

YAMR & Testing Update


That's Yet Another Moves Runthrough. I skated the 8:15 FS and after a 15 minute warmup, I did a runthrough of the Adult Pre-Bronze Moves test. It took me about 18 minutes. The summary:

  • Stroking -- I know it's dumb, but this is probably my least favorite. Weirdly enough I had some issues with the CCW stroking (should be the easiest!) and only did two crossovers on the end instead of 3. The CW was actually better. How bizarre!
  • Edges -- these were fine. BO edges still need more work to hold the free foot in front, but they are passable I think.
  • FXOs & BXOs -- passable. I still need to work more on getting down in the knees, especially on the BXOs and especially on the weaker side.
  • Waltz-8 -- I had to do these twice as the only other skater on the ice (!) decided to start her program exactly where I wanted to do my w-8, twice. Oh well. The L sides were pretty good, the R side a little weak. Still, passable (didn't put the foot down!).
  • 3-turn pattern -- L side was not so great (although it probably would pass). I'm not sure why I was so off but it was pretty ukky, especially the back lobes. The R side was better as usual.
All in all I think it would probably pass as-is but I would still like to improve things a bit. After the runthrough I spent some time working on the problem elements (did a lap of CCW stroking, a waltz-8, and some 3-turn pattern). Then I worked on toe loop and spins. I did get one relatively good spin and a bunch of not-so-good ones.

On the toe loop, I had a realization that I was tending to jump "out" and not "up" so I decided to try fixing that, and I had some good success. I'm getting some nice spring out of this, though it would be nice if I could do that and also bring my feet together. Grrr.

Sonya and I had a talk last night about testing, considering the dates that are available and my goal to compete at Cactus Classic in Scottsdale in late July. I need to pass at least the APB moves and freestyle tests to compete (it's really, really doubtful I could pass any of the Bronze test at this point). We decided to shoot for the next test slot available, which is down in Medford (southern OR) on April 26. Sonya will not be able to come but she has a coach friend who may be able to put me on the ice.

The advantage of that date is that a) if all goes well it's out of the way, and b) if it doesn't I could still test again May 24th at Mountain View (28 day rule). I'm thinking I should pass this time. What a relief that will be! Then it's on to passing the FS test and... oh yes, learning a program! Eeeep, lots to do!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home