Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Thursday, April 09, 2009

Toe Loop!


Today's lesson was on the 8:15 FS. Before my lesson I was working on my FO8 and FI8 and they are actually doing quite well. It's very gratifying. Sonya and I also talked at length about testing etc. It looks like I can either test my APB FS on 5/24 or 6/14. We will decided in early May which we will do. Sonya can't be at the 5/24 test session, unfortunately.
  • Toe Loop -- started off with these. Still working on bringing the feet together. I did have a couple where I actually did get my takeoff in line with my toepick, which counts as a REAL TOE LOOP! I was very happy. Now if I could just do that all the time! Sonya also had me try waltz/toe loop and toe loop/toe loop combos. The first wasn't too bad, actually. The second was a bit rougher but went okay. I'll keep working on it. We both agreed that the toe loop should be usable for my program in July. Salchow... we would need to spend a lot more time on it so we'll see.
  • Spins -- my main point of concern for FS testing at this point. Sonya's main feedback was that I'm rising too quickly in the spin so I throw myself off balance. I'm trying to go into it slower as well. I didn't really get any good ones today though, which was disheartening. I just need to keep plugging away I guess.
  • BXOs -- Sonya's pleased with my progress on these, and so am I. The CCW ones are still too rough but they are improving. Sonya reminded me to take my time, really pull the crossing foot across and not be in such a hurry to move the back foot across for the next stroke.
  • Inside spread eagle -- we spent a couple of minutes on these because Sonya says I need more options for connecting steps in programs. Eeep! These are scary and I have a hard time getting myself to try them. I'm sure we will revisit.
After the lesson we talked about spirals and lunges and how I'm stretching. Sonya showed me a glutes stretch (mostly looks like a pyriformis stretch I know) and also a hamstring stretch (just a forward stretch on a ballet bar or whatever's handy, being sure to keep the hips square).

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home