Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Sunday, July 27, 2008

APB Moves Test -- "Retry"


As the headline says -- I did not pass my test today. *sigh* I'll give the judge's feedback below in italics, and then my commentary. I skated at Lloyd Center for 45" before the test and that was a Godsend, I don't know how I would have done without that. I was really, really nervous.

  • Stroking -- CC Stable flow throughout extension in legs C OK - but a bit bent over @ waist some trouble w/L foot xovers - eyes up! As I had expected I was really nervous on this, since it was the first move of the test. I was so nervous on the crossovers on the left foot (as she noted), my feet were shaking really badly :-(.
  • Edges -- FO: Control OK - skated very slowly FI: Slight toe push - good control - edges slow & small BO: good flow around lobe BI: lobes small - some trouble w/rotation. I was really pretty happy with these. I tend to not do my forward edges very quickly and apparently that's desirable. I was really pleased with my BO edges, as I did that about as well as I ever have in practice. I had one glitch on one lobe of the BI edges and I assume that's what she was referring to above.
  • Crossovers -- Forward: rolling off foot under Xover makes edges very unstable - push off foot instead Backward: Up on toes on L xover - Right better flow OK. I'm not sure what she's getting at exactly on the forward, I'll have to talk to Sonya about this. Of course my FXOs could stand improvement but they weren't too bad. I did have a glitch at one point on them but I'm not sure what she's getting at here. And of course she's exactly right about my left foot. I should fix that before I test again.
  • Waltz-8 -- L trouble holding edge after 3turn - good back edge @ top of circle - control to center lacking FD. The infamous FD! As in "Foot Down". ACK! I don't know what happened, on the right foot (the second time I think) I had some weirdness after the step forward and I was unbalanced and put my foot down. Sheesh. As I skated back to Sonya after the move I was rolling my eyes. Geez.
  • Forward 3-turn pattern -- most trouble on move due to uncontrol body positions & balance - 2nd side better - work on strengthening core & body - eyes up! - get off toes! By the time I got to this move I was totally wiped out and really, I don't know how I got through it. The 2nd side was better (we saved the best for last!) but yep, her feedback is dead on.
So after I finished I was really relieved, but concerned about the foot down. I skated over to the judge and she asked me to reskate the waltz-8, just once on each side. So I did. And... I did it again! ARRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!!! Her comments: Reskate on waltz 8 - Foot down again to center on R side. Work on control of 3s & edges (flow) to center!

This really bugged me. While I didn't think the waltz-8 was my best move, I certainly didn't think it was my worst and I couldn't believe I messed it up the first time. When I messed up the reskate I just wanted to scream, or cry, or something, because I knew that was it.

Oh well!

Good things: Well, first and foremost I guess is that I made it through the test and I didn't fall (and didn't cry, scream, throw up or pass out!). I almost passed. My stroking was okay, my edges were not bad, and even the 3-turns were almost okay.

Bad things: Besides the obvious, I think I really need to work on stamina. I was really, really tired by about 3/4 of the way through the test, and my back was bugging me. So... need to work on strength and stamina. Besides that, I obviously need to work on my BXOs and a bit better control. I'm not actually that concerned about my foot down since that's not something I've been having a problem with before -- I'm ascribing that mostly to nerves (especially since it was on my "good" side!!).

I'm disappointed, but also a bit relieved. I'm sad that I can't say goodbye to the darn 3-turn pattern (bleah) but maybe it's just as well.

Lesson in the morning -- we are going to work on fun stuff! Spins and jumps! YAY! :-)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home