Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Monday, February 11, 2008

Spins & Program Work


I didn't skate the Sunday public as when I got there it was enormously crowded, much more so than usual -- even a school bus outside (maybe a church group?).

Today's lesson on the 7 a.m. FS:
  • Spins -- at my request. We're trying to fix me not bringing the right side around. Sonya had me work to bring the left arm/hand around and left shoulder back. Some progress on this but then it (temporarily, I hope) broke some other things. Need to work these more.
  • RFI3 program element -- this is the part in my program after the spiral, where Sonya wants an RFI3 and then put the other foot down and sort of slide it back, then a BXO (basically). I was making it harder than it was by thinking I had to put the foot down crossed but that's not what she's after. It's coming
  • program -- we did a couple of complete runthroughs and then worked the last half. It's coming. I'm predicting the CCW back 2-foot turn is just going to stink, so I'm going to not spend all my time trying to fix it at the expense of other stuff that I probably can indeed fix. The first half of the program is coming along well. Second half -- mixed bag. I'm really, really pleased with how my half flip has improved. I'm going into it faster and it's got some nice spring if I take my time to prep. The lunge is okay, but coming out of it into the FXO I'm having some issues. I keep wanting to do an LFO3 instead of the FXO for some reason! We worked on that. We still didn't get to explore the very last part of the program much, esp. the side toe hop between the jumps. I need to practice that on my own I think and see how it feels.
That's all we had time for. This is a busy week for me but I'm considering whether I need a 2nd lesson next week. I want to have all the basic program elements down by the end of next week so I'll have some time to just practice, practice, practice without overdoing it right before the competition.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home