Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Thursday, January 31, 2008

Program Work


Today's lesson was on the 8:15 FS. It was a very uncrowded session, just me, Sonya, Kelli and one adult skater I don't know. Good fresh ice, great conditions :-).

We worked on my program, and Sonya taught me about the 1st half or so. It looks something like this:
  • Start about 1/3 of the way from the scoreboard end of the rink, centered on the short axis.
  • Push into an LF glide with arms
  • Push into a R hockey glide w/arms for a full circle
  • Push into a L hockey glide w/arms for a full circle
  • Push into a LFO, LFO3, back 2-foot turn on same circle
  • Push into an RFO, RFO3, back 2-foot turn on same circle
  • Push to an LFO with free leg in a '4' position and drag toepick
  • Get to center ice and do a hockey stop
  • Push straight back, BXO and cross front
  • Back snowplow stop
  • 2-foot spin w/arms out
  • Funky up-on-the-toepicks thing
  • Push to LF glide toward the right
  • Half flip
That's 45 or 50 seconds worth. The program is 1 min 40 sec (i.e. 100 sec).

My reaction... eep! The dragging the toepick thing is scary, the up on the toepicks thing I can't do yet (it does look cool though), and I really need to work on my back 2-foot turn so I don't look and feel so scared. Oh, and my FO3s really stunk today.

I really appreciated Sonya's care in laying this out for me. It's really very doable and I can think of it in sections that correspond to the music so that I can know where I am and where I should be. I just need to practice the heck out of it is all.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home