Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Monday, January 21, 2008

Spins, Salchow & Turns


Today's lesson on the 7 a.m. FS. There was a test session following so it was pretty busy! Between dodging the ice dancers and power circles it was... interesting. I got to hear the first cut of my music -- it's a little rough still so Sonya is going to go back at it, but it's a start.

Today's lesson:
  • turns -- Sonya wants me to practice a simple pattern of FO3 --> back 2-foot turn. My back 2-foot turns are pretty stinky so I really need to spend some time on this. As so often, I tend to rush and not get my body in the correct position.
  • spins -- Just a few of these. These are definitely looking better but I'm still not holding the position. Sonya says I'm still not bringing my right side with me, and I need to bring my hands up (tending to keep them at my waist).
  • Salchow -- arrrggh. This jump is still frustrating me. Sonya reminded me that I need to bend the skating knee more, but not bend the free knee. I seem to want to either bend them both or neither. Grrr.
A good lesson. I have some costume ideas, I need to bring stuff in to show Sonya. I'm thinking black pants (I need to order some nice black skating pants w/stirrup heels) and a shirt I have, and maybe some suspenders. I will probably leave it at that. I was considering a hat but I think it will be too distracting for me.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home