Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Monday, January 14, 2008

Making Connections


Today's lesson was on the 7 a.m. FS. It was pretty dead, just 4 or 5 skaters.

Today's lesson:
  • Connecting moves -- this is more program prep. Working on things like: 3-turn, push wide step, BXO, step forward, turn on other foot, etc. My steps forward are kind of scratchy and we spent some time on that.
  • Spins -- back at these. I think I'm making slow progress. We are only practicing them from BXOs now. I did a couple that were pretty decent and several that were not :-(. The things that seem to work are just to relax and not feel rushed, and also to enter somewhat slower.
  • Waltz jump -- working on getting better entrance prep and more spring.
Sonya forgot to bring the CD with the music on it, but she had identified for me the cuts she thought would work best for me. I'm trying to decide between:
  • The Prayer, Josh Groban and Charlotte Church. I love this piece, but I think it's been used an awful lot and maybe the judges will go " OMG, not that one again."
  • To Where You Are, Josh Groban. Same comments above. It may be a bit too slow. It's kind of introspective and I could get into that.
  • With You, from the Pippin soundtrack. This one is a bit more obscure Again, a bit slow and introspective, a love song.
  • Skylark, Linda Ronstadt. A classic, of course. Introspective, otherworldly, reflective, calm, slow, steady.
  • Feeling Good, Michael Buble'. This is kind of jazzy/bluesy. One of the girls at our rink used it for something last year I think, and I really liked it. Not sure how well known it is, but definitely different from the ones above and a bit faster.
So, feel free to share your thoughts on these!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home