Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Minor Breakthroughs


Today's lesson was on the 7 a.m. freestyle, and I had some minor breakthroughs that encouraged me enormously:
  • FXOs -- I reminded Anna that she wanted to be sure to touch these every week, so of course that's what we started on, first in the Moves pattern and then just on the circle. I worked them in my warmup a bit and that's where I noticed Minor Breakthrough #1 -- I am bringing my free foot around much more smoothly and low to the ice on the "bad" side (CW) now! I don't know where that came from, but it's most welcome. In the past my cross on that side has always been very high and dorky, but for some reason today I just "got it" and there it was, much more like the other side. Anna was pleased. She says I'm still shortchanging her on the extension :-) but they are coming along.
  • BXOs -- the Moves pattern. The CW are looking better, CCW needs much more work. They are still pretty scratchy and Anna says I need to get my weight more firmly over my back skate still, push that heel, and also keep turned into the circle/keep the leading arm forward and be looking over it.
  • 5-step Mohawk -- started with the weak foot (left). These have improved somewhat. I had Minor Breakthrough #2 -- the slide chassé has improved. I now know what it's supposed to feel like -- it's like pushing the blade forward on the ice (pushing the heel) until it slides off the ice. It's really kind of fun. We worked on not trying too hard to rotate on the 3rd step, as that seems to make me a) stay on the edge too long and b) curve it too much. Instead just gently rotate a bit and step forward for the 4th step. I did manage to string a few together so that was good.
  • Power-3s -- starting on my bad foot. Of course my RFO3s are somewhat sucky still. On the 2nd or 3rd attempt I had Minor Breakthrough #3 - I actually managed a good step-forward (back choctaw) from the LBI! I had never done a good one before, and of course it's the same step forward I need for the alt-3s that I've been struggling with so much. So I was pretty psyched about getting that. Of course my success after that was somewhat mixed. We worked on getting a better crossover and getting the body/hips turned into the circle more after the crossover. That, along with bringing the skating hand forward, should help the step forward a lot. Anna also said I will need to work (eventually) on picking up the tempo a bit.
The theme for today might have been to be more deliberate and take my time. Anna said at one point (I think it was the 5-step) that I need to get "frantic" out of my skating vocabulary (or something to that effect). It's true. If I just take my time and relax things flow and it's okay, when I get frantic or anticipate they're not there. I see this everywhere -- rushing my XOs, rushing the 3 in the alt-3s and power-3s, rushing the first couple of steps of the 5-step Mohawk, not getting good extension on XOs and stroking. All these things (all of them!) can be fixed if I'll just focus, let it flow, and not rush.

For tomorrow's lesson Anna wants to look at back 3-turns (eeep!) and some more time on the power 3s. I should ask Anna about starting to work the 5-step and power-3 in the actual pattern, instead of down the line as we usually do. I should probably get some time in on the FI3s as well.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home