Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Friday, May 22, 2020

Edges & FO8

My lesson with Danette on the 9:30 a.m. FS at Chandler.

I should say a couple of words for posterity on the setup for this during our Covid-19 pandemic.  The rink cut the number of skaters per session (was originally going to be 7, then 10) and doubled the price (now $12/30 min).  They marked out spaces for people to put their skates on that are 6' apart, and similarly to line up to get on/off the ice.  We were told masks would be required in the lobby, but not on the ice.  In practice, I was told today via email (in response to my query) that masks are not required but 'encouraged' in the lobby. Alas in Arizona in the part of our pandemic response, that means a very few people wear them and most do not.  Staff were wearing them though. 

For this session there were 6 skaters (me, Aly, John, Mary Jane, Grace ? Maybe it was Rebecca -- she was wearing a mask -- and a young skater I don't know).  3 coaches I think.  The ice was really gorgeous!

Since my lesson and my practice session are the same, no warmup. Today's lesson:
  • edges -- really glad I was able to practice last night by myself.  They are not great, but better than last night, so that's good. I'd say about 60% of where I was before.  Mostly notably I'm lacking good posture, speed, and just confidence.
  • pushing -- Danette had me see how far I could go on one push forward and back, on each foot.  Yuck.  Forward, about half the width of the rink.  What a far cry from before!  Back was not so great, but then I've never really liked backward stroking anyway.
  • FO8 -- just a few minutes at the end. My circles were really bad -- kinda egg shaped.  Getting on a good edge took me a while and I didn't make it around on one push, even once.  Ugh.   Oh well!
I had my concerns about the health and safety of the current setup.  I was told they "can't" enforce a mask policy, but Costco sure can!  It really means they won't.  For the most part for now I think it will be okay so long as I stay far, far away from the hockey people (I hate to sound like I'm stereotyping, but that was my observation) since they seem to act like nothing at all has changed.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home