Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Friday, March 06, 2020

2020 PCAS Showcase Dramatic Program

I skated my "Days of Beauty" showcase dramatic program at the 2020 Pacific Coast Adult Sectionals today.  Here's how it went.

There were only 3 skaters in my group, and I was the first to skate, and our event was the first event of the competition!  The opening moments of my program were featured on the USFS Adult Skating Committee Instagram, that was pretty cool.

So the 3 of us went out for warmup along with the 2 ladies doing compulsories.  Of course the ice had just been cut and it was quite slick, not my favorite -- but it was also pretty soft, so that helped a bit. I basically ran through most of my program (in chunks, and not in order -- I don't like to give it away too much).  I went to do the salchow... and once more I was biffing it.  I tried, I believe, 3, and they were all horrible.  At that point I decided not to try anymore as I didn't think it was the best use of my time, which was short anyway since I was skating first.

I came off the ice with about 30s left and Melissa was kind enough to take my jacket, make sure I had my prop, and say coachy things to me  ( :-) ).  Finally they called my name and out I went.

The program started off okay and I had reasonably good flow.  I headed into the salchow and had some unreasonable terror arise in me... and I did try it, and sure enough it just didn't happen.  AGH.  So frustrating.  Anyway I went on and did the rest as best I could and it actually wasn't bad.  I got a really good spin (if I'm remembering correctly) so that's something.

Finished up, took my bows, etc. and got off.  I got to watch my competitors skate and they were fun to watch.  Good stuff.

I wound up placing 2nd of 3, which I think is the best I've done with this program so I'm pretty happy with that. 

I have the video but I won't have time to post it until Monday.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home