Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Wednesday, August 07, 2019

Competition Prep

My figures lesson with Danette on the 7:30 a.m. FS.  4 skaters and 3 coaches.  Unfortunately humidity is up and so the rink was a bit foggy and the ice had a crust on it which made it slow.  Ugh.  Also I had not skated patch since I got my blades sharpened a couple of weeks ago so it was a learning process all around...

I warmed up with edges, then scribed circles and worked on FO8 --  yuck.  Could not make it around with all the crusty ice.

Today's lesson:

  • FO8 -- other than my inability to skate a complete circle on this ice (!), I was having some issues on the LFO.   About mid circle (during or after passing my arms) I would get forward on my blade, and be on a flat. Ugh.  It cleared up a bit but not entirely.  RFO was better.  Pushes were okay and were relatively together, so that's good. I do need to remind myself to bring the feet together on the push so that it's better that way.
  • FI8 -- not bad!
  • BO8 -- about the last half of our time.  We worked the position on the wall briefly, then on the scribed circles.  The good news is that the push is pretty nice and after a little adjustment the positions were fairly good.  The bad news is that I'm still not making it around the circle.
After my lesson I had about 15 minutes to work, so I worked some more on BO8 on the circle and on the wall.

Competition is 2 weeks from Sunday!  Eeep.  Sherwood's ice is hard/fast so I'm not too worried about getting around there.  Next week we'll have to work without a scribe to prep for the real thing.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home