Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Sunday, February 17, 2019

2019 MidWinter Warmup

I competed at the LAFSC's Adult MidWinter Warmup Open.  This post will describe how it went in general and I'll have a specific post for each event I skated also.

As we have most years (except last year), we had a group that carpooled from Phoenix.  This year we had myself, Melissa, Lora and Heidi in the car.  We all managed to pack somewhat light this time so we actually were pretty comfortable.  We left Phoenix a little after 8 a.m. Saturday and arrived in Artesia a bit after 2 (even with a stop for lunch) so we made good time (about 7 hours with the time difference).

Lora, Heidi and I attended the SkateFest exhibition (see below) while Melissa stayed and rested as she was not feeling well.  We grabbed some dinner after (Melissa had dinner on her own) and then came back to the hotel and called it a night.

Sunday came and we met in the lobby as we were all on the 7:20 a.m. practice ice together.  Whoa!  I'd forgotten how hard and fast the EWIP ice is.  Yikes!  I was flying.  Also (note to self) it was good that I took the time to reorient my light program as the judges are indeed on the right side hockey boxes at EWIP.  Good catch.  I was already in my light costume (except the wig) so I was ready to go.

After practice ice I only had about 30 minutes, then I skated my light program.  After that I hung out and watched skating and had my podium shots etc., then changed into my dramatic costume.  I skated my dramatic at 10:15. 

After my dramatic I hung out 'til about 11:30 to watch skating, then I left to make a side trip to visit Chapman University where my friend Madison had attended before she got sick.  I was hoping to visit the memorial wall there but alas it was locked and I couldn't get in to it.  Grr!

After that I grabbed a quick lunch and came back to watch more skating, then changed into my costume and got my boots on.  I skated my free skate at 4:20 (actually we were a little early).  After my skate I hung around for podium shots, then changed and hung out to watch skating until about 7:15 at which point we were all pretty cold and tired so we left and had a nice dinner with a couple of other Arizona skaters.

All in all it was a very long, busy day but a really terrific experience.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home