Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Thursday, January 24, 2019

Working The Trouble Spots

My figures lesson with Danette on the Chandler Ice Cafe. Nice ice, 6 skaters. I warmed up with edges and FO8/FI8 and scribed circles.

We decided to continue working on some of my problem areas...

  • step forward -- We did these down the line and later on a circle.  Basically working to get the step forward to be more secure and not "out."  We made some progress in getting me to relax and be able to turn the foot and push.  It needs to happen with a good tempo, if it's too slow then the edge goes back into the circle too much.  At the same time, though, I need to turn all the way forward, not just most of the way.  Ugh.  Still, I've had this problem forever so it's not going to be fixed just like that.  Sadly, I am one of those skaters for whom almost nothing comes easily.
  • 3s -- working to fix these to be less scrapy and forced.  We did a bunch on the wall, then on the ice also.  The LFO3 is really nice -- in particular there is a nice rhythm to the down-up-down.  That doesn't happen on the RFO3 which is why it's so horrible.  Not sure how we will fix this.
After my lesson I had about 10 minutes so I worked on 3s some more.  Ugh.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home