Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Sunday, February 17, 2019

2019 MidWinter Warmup Free Skate Program

I skated my "Exorcist" free skate program at the MidWinter Warmup today.  It went really well! The only other APB free skate was a woman, so we were combined (at mutual request).

I had some time to relax in the middle of the day, then got into my costume and boots around 3:30.  My event was supposed to start at 4:20 but it wound up being more like 4:15.  For some reason I was agonizing over having to do another bunny hop until, shortly before the warmup, I remembered there's no bunny hop in the free skate.  DUH!

They called us out for warmup, and I was feeling a bit cold and not as warmed up (naturally) as this morning.  I warmed up all my jumps and spins.  I fell doing my waltz jump (hasn't happened in a while) but no worries.  My salchow was not cooperating but later on I managed an okay one.  I spent too much time on it though.  Finally we were out of time and I got off.

I skated 2nd (of 2) so I had just a moment or 3 to catch my breath, drink some water, and get my jacket off before I was called out to skate. 

It went really well!  I had good speed, I did all my elements.  I finished a smidge late and I don't know why, but it was okay.  I was really happy with it.

In the end, a miracle occurred -- my first-ever win in a free skate.  I had 3 1st place ordinals and 2 2nds, so not exactly resounding; but, a win is a win!  I was pretty stoked!  My friend Lora said that my initial toe loop was the best she'd seen me do.  Yay!

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • At 9:50 AM , Blogger LibrarianOnIce said...

    Congrats!!! I'm a long-time lurker on your blog and have been following your progress (there are so many adult skating blogs that haven't been updated in years)! Anyway, I just wanted to drop into your comments to say that you are AWESOME <3

    Mandi
    http://librarianonice.blogspot.com/

     
  • At 12:12 PM , Blogger Gordon said...

    Thanks!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home