Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Sunday, February 17, 2019

2019 MidWinter Warmup Showcase Dramatic Program

I skated my "Years" showcase dramatic program at the 2019 MidWinter Warmup today.  It went reasonably well.

The event started at 10:15. They called us out for warmup and I had a decent warmup -- I had just skated my light program 2 hours earlier and practice ice before that so I was feeling pretty good.  I warmed up my bunny hop, toe loop, waltz jump and spins.  Then I ran through some chunks of the program, and then it was time to get off the ice.

I skated 3rd (of 3) so I had a little time to relax, then they called me out, and I took my position and off I went.

Things started off well, but then when I came out of the first spin I got momentarily confused as to what came next!  Not long, but enough to put me a little off.  So instead of backward stroking to the end I kind of meandered a bit and then headed back into my groove toward the boards on the judges side. In some ways this was kind of okay because I had wanted to move the "beauty pass" further along so it would be closer to the judges (if the judges were on the left hockey boxes as I'd originally choregraphed for, this move would be right in front of them).  As it was I came out of it okay but forgot one move (arms) just before the little side toe hop.  The rest of it was pretty much okay.  Going into the bunny hop->lunge I had this moment where my brain was convinced I was totally going to biff the bunny hop and splat on the ice, but I made myself do it anyway... and it was fine.  Toe loop was more or less okay, and I finished from there just a couple of seconds late (it would have been more but my last spin was horribly short).

I went and bowed and got off the ice, relieved and grateful.  I wound up getting 3rd of 3.  My placements were a bit weird though as I had 2 1st place ordinals, 1 2nd place, and 2 3rd place.  Oh well, showcase is a crap shoot!

I felt reasonably good about this skate, but a bit annoyed at my brain fart after the first spin.  On the positive side I was proud of myself for making myself do the bunny hop.  I also had a very, very nice compliment after from a skater who said she found it inspiring.  That was really heartwarming and appreciated!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home