Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Wednesday, November 21, 2018

Spins, Backspin Prep

My lesson with Holly on the 8:15 FS at Gilbert.  Mediocre ice, 10 skaters and about 5 coaches.

I had not skated free style since Autumn Antics!  Between one thing and another it just hasn't worked.  So I was pretty rusty on my warmup!  Ugh.  I warmed up with some laps of stroking, then worked on the spin exercise for a bit.

Today's lesson:

  • spins -- we started by working on the spin exercise some more, then from the windup.  I actually got some pretty good ones!  It was encouraging.
  • backspin prep -- we had talked about me learning something new (it seems it's been forever since I learned something new), so we decided to work on backspin.  I had worked on this a bit with JJ a long time ago, but never got very far.  Holly had me do a variation on the forward spin exercise I've been doing just to get the feel for spinning on the opposite foot. Eeep!  It's so weird.  Anyway, a good start and clearly I will need to work on this a lot.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home