Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Sunday, November 04, 2018

2018 Autumn Antics Showcase Dramatic Program

I skated my "Years" program at today's Autumn Antics.  Here's how it went.

Unfortunately, the scheduling issues for the day were really acute for this program, so much so that I had 17 minutes between the time I was done running music and the time I skated. So in that time I had to get my costume and skates on and warmup.  Ugh! I was in a state.  I was having issues with my costume, and the girls in the next locker room were laughing and yelling which I found very very annoying in my perturbed state of mind.  I couldn't get one of the buttons on my pants to stay, and I had forgotten how annoying it is to try to get the bottom snaps on my shirt to fasten.  So I got all that done and got out to practice ice and had to retie my left boot because it felt loose, and then of course it felt too tight -- I think every skater has experienced this!

Anyway I got on the practice ice, which by this point was really horrible (due to the curtain, it doesn't get zammed all day and it really showed). I did a spin and just some general stroking and tried not to think about my blades (see previous entry!).  I probably was on the ice for 3 minutes and then I had to skate (I was first in the group).  To be honest, I was in such a bad state of mind that between the boot issue, the blade issue, and my general state of mind I briefly considered withdrawing.  I was convinced I was going to have some horrible fall or accident because I was just so worked up about everything.  Nevertheless I made myself to out and skate.  I'm proud of myself for that.

They called my name and out I went!..  There were a bunch of adult skaters in the audience and they yelled and that really helped, or at least it made me smile and try to project some positivity.   The music started, and off I went.  The first spin was not so great, and then I had some issues trying to get some speed up in the back stroking and BXOs after that.  After that it was better, the waltz jump was fine, and the bunnyhop/lunge/toe loop was okay (well, the toe loop was a bit odd but oh well).

Apparently, though, I was moving really fast, as I went into the final spin and it was not that long and I realized I was like 5 - 7 seconds early!  EEP!  I made up something with my arms that took up a couple of seconds but then just took my final pose and held it for a couple of seconds while  the music finished.  I've never had THAT problem before!  I'll have to come up with some better improvs/moves just in case it happens again.

Went and took my bows and got off, then watched Melissa and Svetlana skate.  After that we all stayed to watch the other adults skate, then went off for medals and pictures.  I got 3rd of 3, across the board.  All things considered I'm very pleased with how it went and proud of myself for pulling that off in the face of some adversity.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home