Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Thursday, August 16, 2018

Competition Prep

My figures lesson with Danette on the Chandler Ice CafĂ©.  We had a longer lesson (45 minutes) and I skated that extra 15 minutes as I really felt I needed more time.

I warmed up with edges, then scribed some circles, and warmed up FO8, FI8, then spent the remaining time on the BO8.

Today's lesson:

  • competition review -- we went over the skating order and diagram as to where I'll be skating.
  • FO8 -- laid this out in approximately the same patch as for Sunday.  Not too bad.  Still had some issues on the LFO; I realized that in my efforts to keep the free shoulder back I'm tending to drop my R hand waaaay low and that's why I can't rotate forward well.  So I fixed that!
  • FI8 -- moved to the appropriate patch and laid this out. Not bad, actually.
  • BO8 -- moved to the appropriate patch and laid this out.  Eeep!  Having real issues with my return to center, couldn't see my mark at all.  Danette worked with me to try to help me to turn my head better.  Next we moved to my scribed circles and worked on it there, and they were of course much better.  Back to a random layout and it was not as bad as before, but I'm still losing the center.  We worked on it a bit more, then we were out of time.  
Competition is Sunday!  Regarding my BO8 issues, I have to hope that having really clean ice and less glare well help me find the center.  Eeep.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home