Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Friday, June 15, 2018

Spins & Jumps & Backspin Prep

My lesson with Holly on the 8:15 FS at Gilbert.  For some reason this session was really crowded this morning -- like 12 people instead of the usual 5 or so.  Oh well, it was nice to see everyone.

I warmed up with stroking and perimeter XOs.

Today's lesson:

  • spins -- we did the exercise near the boards, then from the windup.  I actually got a couple that were not bad!  For some reason I was not as enthused as I probably should have been.
  • jumps -- a couple of waltz jumps just to warm up, then some salchows.  Most of them were relatively okay. Finished up with some toe loops, most were crappy except that the last one was pretty good, actually.
  • backspin prep -- Holly gave me a couple of exercises to work on to prep for backspin as we won't have a lesson for the next couple of weeks.  The first is just standing at the boards on my R foot and working to turn the foot on the sweet spot so I can feel where it is. The second is something I actually started playing with on Tuesday -- the backspin equivalent of my forward spin exercise.  So stand on the R foot and push/swizzle backward around and then try to pick the L foot up. This is a lot scarier! Eeep.  I'll have to work on it.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home