Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Friday, May 25, 2018

Circle-8, Spins & Jumps

I skated the 8:15 a.m. FS at Gilbert for my lesson with Holly, as usual.  Today we had Aly, Zoe, Amber, Brenna, Mia (briefly) and a special treat - Viktorya was there also!  Had not skated with her in forever.  Also coaches Emma and Mark as usual.

I warmed up with stroking and some crossovers.

Today's lesson:

  • blade alignment -- I talked with Holly about this and demonstrated that I can now do really nice CW FXOs, now that I'm not fighting the RFO edge.  Nice!  From there we went to...
  • circle-8 -- about the same as Tuesday. It doesn't help that I tend to make the RFO too big the first time, but really, I'm still struggling so I think it's that I just need a better/stronger push.  Yuck.
  • spins -- we worked on the exercise (Holly's really pleased at my progress!) and then from a standing start.  Still struggling to transfer the skills from the exercise to the standing start, but at least I know where I am supposed to be aiming for, which I didn't really before. Holly's cue for the standing start is "down, around, and up".  I'm okay on the down part, but the around is a struggle and when I stand "up" I'm not bringing my free leg in.  Urph.
  • jumps -- we had just 4 minutes or so at the end so we did some waltz jumps (nice, really) and a couple of salchows (ugh).  Mostly making sure the blade alignment will work.
So, the blade alignment seems to work for me so I'll get them back to Kelly at some point and get the permanent screws in.  Yay!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home