Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Thursday, May 17, 2018

Trial Figures Lesson #2 - Tammy

I had my second trial figures lesson today on the Chandler Ice Café, this time with Tammy.

I warmed up pretty much the same as last week -- scribed circles, edges, FO8 and FI8 and a little waltz-8.

Today's lesson:

  •  Background -- We had some discussions about goals and what I've done in the past, competition-wise.
  • FO8 -- a random layout.  Mostly okay but a little burble when I lost sight of center coming back on the R foot.  Like Danette,  Tammy commented that I tend to pass my foot very late.
  • FI8 -- a random layout again; pretty good except I hit some weird rut that slowed me way down so I didn't make it back to center on one of the LFIs - I had to push.  Yuck.
  • waltz-8 -- after a runthrough, we spent some time working on 3s.  Tammy suggested that instead of thinking "down-up-down" I try thinking "down-PRESS-down".  This did help some. 
  • 3s to center -- we did a few of these to explore my 3s.  They were about the same as before.

All in all it was a good lesson.  I'm not sure how to decide on this as both Danette and Tammy are good coaches and I wouldn't go wrong with either one.  It's nice to have options!  But difficult too.

In other news, I haven't skated this week as I am skateless -- I've been concerned about my R blade placement on my freestyle skates and so I gave them to Kelly on Saturday (he was at the competition) and he is going to move the front of the R blade a little to the inside, which should fix the skidding/chattering issue I've had when trying to do my circle-8 on that side.

Also Tammy mentioned that the 5:30 p.m. Tuesday FS is going to go away in the fall as it's been sold for hockey.  WAAAH!!  The one session I could reliably make it to as it was after work AND I am awake.  Oh well.  Also only two Ice Café sessions left before the summer break :-(.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home