Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Thursday, May 10, 2018

Trial Figures Lesson #1 - Danette

I skated the Chandler Ice CafĂ© today for a trial figures lesson with Coach Danette.  I had about a half hour to warmup so I scribed some circles, did edges and FO8 and FI8.

Today's lesson:

  • FO8 -- we did a random layout.  It was about the same as usual, i.e. not bad, except that I didn't hold the free shoulder back on the last LFO and so I had major issues trying to control the last half of it... but I did.  Danette commented that I tend to pass my arms very late, which is true.
  • FI8 -- also a random layout.  The first set I had some issues because another skater and coach were coming into my path so I aborted. Started over again and they were much better.  Tracings were just okay -- I've certainly done better in the past, but acceptable.
  • waltz-8 -- Danette felt that we really needed to fix the 3s (it's true).  She asked me to start the circle pre-rotated.  It may help a bit, it's hard to say.  We then spent some time working on the BO edge, working to have a better position w/free leg in front.  She took me over to the boards and gave me an exercise to do to help me hold that position better.
  • BO8 -- I didn't want to spend all our time on waltz-8, so we finished with this. Amazingly enough to me, the RBO was really nice (both times I did it!).  Like, really nice!  The LBO was okay flow-wise but I was not tracking the circle well so I couldn't come back to center.

All in all it was a good lesson.  Danette seemed to really enjoy getting back into figures.  Kudos to her for the exercise she gave me.    I'm going to try to have another trial lesson next week and then I'll make a decision (there are only two coaches at Chandler that I'm trialing with for figures).

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home