Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Friday, September 29, 2017

Perimeter XOs, Spins, Jumps

My lesson with Holly on the 7:30 a.m. FS at Gilbert, as usual.  I warmed up with stroking. It was really cold in the rink and I was sleepy :-(

Today's lesson:

  • perimeter XOs -- ran these once through and it was so-so.  Holly pointed out that I'm too much on my toes on the BXOs so I'm either dragging my toepicks a little, or even if I'm not I don't have enough blade on the ice to get enough surface to push from.  She had me try doing the FXOs by the hockey boxes and the BXOs on the other side, the theory being that there are often a lot of people by the hockey boxes so maybe I'm intimidated in pushing harder because I'm afraid of a collision. So I did it again and it was better.  Not sure if it was that reason, or just that I did it again but I'll practice it that way since it doesn't really matter to me anyway.
  • spins -- from a standing start.  I did have one that was pretty good, I was in the sweet spot and I didn't (immediately) freak out.  Still working to keep my head up and not look down.
  • jumps -- waltz jump (meh), several salchows (got better as we went) and then some toe loops (maybe a little bit of progress).
Next week we need to look at my blade alignment on the L foot again -- I think it's a bit off and since I will be off the ice for a week for Regionals it would be a good time to get it adjusted if that's what we need.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home