Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Saturday, February 15, 2014

Midwinter Warmup 2014 Showcase Light Program

My day at Midwinter Warmup, hosted by the LA FSC, at the East-West Ice Palace in Artesia, CA.

I had practice ice at 7:15, and I was at the rink by 6:45.  Checked in and then really had a lot of time to do nothing... I ate an apple and got my skates on.  My practice ice went fine -- it was fairly full (about 16 skaters) but workable.  I had my full costume on, but didn't bring any props except for my glasses.  I warmed up my jumps and spins, then worked through some program chunks.  Then I worked on putting the glasses on and skating into the spin, since that's the worst part of the program for me.  I'm really glad I was in full costume, because in my practices lately I had adjusted the headband on the glasses to be smaller because it seemed too big.  Well, it was big to fit over the wig!  So I had to bring it out again. Good thing I didn't wait 'til the actual program!  My practice went well and I got off the ice.

I realized during practice ice that the judges were not going to be left of center (as I face them) as they were at Autumn Antics, but on the other side (right of center).  I decided to move the beginning (placement of table & props) to that side since it was important to be in front of the judges.  I was a little concerned about making such a change at the last minute but my gut told me it would be okay and was the right thing to do.  As it turned out, I had no problems with the adjustment at all and everything was fine.

After that I went and checked in, then brought all my props from the car and set them up and made sure everything was set.  Then I killed some time until my event.

As it turned out, I was skating first.  There were only 3 of us (myself, Melissa and Lory) as there was one skater who withdrew.  We went out for warmup and things were fine, I was pretty warmed up from practice ice.  Went off at the one-minute mark and prepped the table to move it on.  Warmup was over, and I pushed the table through the door, then they called my name and I skated the table into position, took my pose and started!

Everything went really well.  I felt pretty good.  The spin was only like one rev but it seemed fairly upright so I guess that was enough.  Timing was spot-on and I had a lot of fun with it.  I finished and then I almost forgot to bow!  Remembered at the last moment, bowed, grabbed my stuff and off I went.

Afterward I watched Melissa and Lory skate.  Melissa's cat program was fun and whimsical, and Lory's program was disco if I recall correctly.  When the results were posted, I was first!  Wow! My first-ever first place in competition!  I was blown away.  Although if ever I had a program I thought would be a winner this would be it.  We took our pictures and then I got out of my costume and put all my stuff away.  I spent the rest of the day watching some great skating!

Tomorrow -- practice ice at 8:15 (how civilized!) and then my Dramatic program at 9:20.

Labels:

4 Comments:

  • At 12:41 AM , Blogger Nancy said...

    Congrats on first place! Are you going to post a video

     
  • At 12:41 AM , Blogger Nancy said...

    This comment has been removed by the author.

     
  • At 9:36 AM , Blogger susanrn said...

    Congratulations Gordon! First place!

     
  • At 9:15 PM , Blogger Gordon said...

    Thanks! Yes I will post video when I get a chance, things are pretty crazy right now.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home