Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Mazurka, Mohawks

I had a lesson with Sonya on the 7 a.m. FS at Mountain View (Vancouver, WA).  It was a bit of a trek but I managed to get there at 6:30 and warm up a bit.  While I was warming up I had a dumb fall (not bad) on... a salchow, I think.

Today's lesson:
  • Mazurka -- I wanted to work on the mazurka since I felt very insecure about it.  We worked it on the boards and then out on the ice and voila!  Success.  So then we put it in combination with the waltz jump since that what JJ wanted... and success also!  So then of course Sonya wanted to try tacking on a half flip, and that was not so great.  She wanted it from an LFO3 but I have done it from a mohawk so it was throwing me to try a different entrance.  We played with it a bit more, then moved on.
  • mohawk -- Sonya wanted to work with me on these a bit.  She grabbed the evil hockey stick (shades of JJ!) and made me try to keep it inside the circle during the mohawk.  Eeep.   I think we made it a little better/smoother but it's still not so great.
It was a great lesson!  I was amused because Sonya said that I fall "differently" now.  I asked what she meant and she said that when she first met me I tended to fall in slow motion and slide on the ice, but now this was more abrupt.  I'm not sure if that's good or bad :-) but I think it's really a function of what I was doing when I fell.  Anyway it was interesting.

Alas, while it was a great lesson, I probably should not have gone.  I was feeling a bit ill Monday, and now I really feel ill, so I think I pushed it too much on my trip. Oh well.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home