Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Thursday, August 08, 2013

Power-3s

My lesson with JJ on the 8:15 FS at Gilbert.

After some housekeeping stuff, we spent our lesson working on power-3s.  Specifically the back lobe of the power-3s, as I told JJ that when I'd worked with Kelli on them a couple of weeks ago that was the thing that kept coming up -- I do the first part of the back lobe okay-ish but then I do the BXO and I'm totally not in a position to step forward and continue.  So we worked through and JJ worked with me on an exercise that basically consisted of doing the BXO slowly and then doing a back 2-foot turn and stepping forward on the FO edge.  Yikes.  I had a really hard time doing this well, that is, doing the turn quickly and smoothly, especially since JJ insisted I had to get my arms and upper body set and then WAIT before turning, i.e. I couldn't "cheat" by having the momentum of the arms help me turn.  Yikes.  It got better and it did help a lot.  Clearly I need to work on this a lot more.  I'm glad to work on this though as this is one of those basic problems I've had a long time and I've never really had a good tool to work on fixing it. So I'm willing to try this and see how it goes.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home