Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Competition Prep

My figures lesson with Lynne on the Chandler coffee club.  I warmed up with edges, FO8, FI8 and waltz-8 (i.e. the Preliminary figures test).  I didnt' scribe any circles.

Today's lesson:
  • waltz-8 -- spent a little time on these.  They actually are improving.  Some of my 3s were quite nice, others not so -- difference seems to mostly be whether I actually have a good edge going in vs. flat. (duh).  Step forward was a little improved.
  • FO8 -- we did these in a competition style, i.e. no references etc.  Not too bad.  I had a small goof on the first RFO that I fixed subsequently; it was a good correction.  Biggest issue is that I'm still tending not to fill out the second half of the circle.
  • FI8 -- pretty decent.  Still had an issue on the LFI that I wasn't filling out the circle.  I trace these a lot nicer than FO8!
  • BO8 -- ugh.  First set was not so great, did another set that was much better.  I really need to concentrate more.  I tend to get a little sloppy, especially on the subsequent ones where I tend to not keep my free foot in front.  I get on some sort of autopilot and don't think about those things.  Grrr.
All in all, despite my whining I'm feeling like I won't do so badly at the competition.  I'm not where I was last year but I feel like I'm coming back fast.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home