Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Moves, Spins, Jumps

My lesson with JJ on the 8:15 FS at Gilbert.  I felt like I'd not had a lesson with him in forever, but it's only been a week!

Today's lesson:
  • BXOs to landing position -- picking up on where these were with Sonya on Thursday.  Keys are to hold a good check position, free leg not too far back and with tension, good change of arms (definite change, not half-hearted), deeper lobes and of course head up!  These are improving, definitely.  I still feel like I'm really slow.. want to be able to pick up the pace.
  • BXO perimeter stroking -- the BXO portion of the perimeter XO pattern.  Again, follow-on to what Sonya and I worked on; deeper lobes, and really putting the weight over the BI edge at the top of the lobe.  Challenge here is to not let it come around too sharply or the lobe is too small.
  • spins -- ugh.  Not so great.  Either I didn't hold the free leg back long enough, or I was doing my arms wrong, or both.  Yuck.
  • waltz jump -- really only did one but it was actually really quite nice, so we moved on.
  • salchow -- JJ wants me to have a deeper edge going into the jump, and not to worry so much about having a flatter edge coming out of the 3 (although that is desirable).  I did one or two that were not too bad.
No lesson next week as JJ is out of town.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home