Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Thursday, December 13, 2012

More Moves

I am in Oregon today (and tomorrow) so I had a lesson with Sonya on the 5 p.m. FS at WSC.  Had a good long warmup and got to see some of my homegirls (Amber, Madison, and Emmy!) and coach Kelli.  It made me happy :-)

Today's lesson:
  • Perimeter XOs -- Sonya had talked to JJ (lol!) so we started with these.  Sonya had me work on making my lobes deeper and less diagonal. Whoa!  I had been worried I wouldn't be able to fill out the pattern that way, but it's really not a problem at all.  It's a bit of an adjustment but I think it will help.  Still need to work on the check position on the BXOs more.
  • Power-3s -- I really wanted to look at the back lobe of the power-3s because the step forward has been driving me nuts.  Sonya wanted me (quelle surprise!) to make the back lobe deeper (see above!) and less diagonal... then we worked a bit on the actual step forward.  She had me practice just holding the BI edge and trying to turn out my free leg (keeping it close though!).  That's the crux of the problem right there!  She suggested I work on just skating that BI edge around the circle and turn the free foot out and then back repeatedly.
  • BXOs to landing position -- more of this.  We worked on keeping the head up, keeping the free leg lifted higher and not letting it curve around, and holding the checked arms like I worked on with JJ yesterday.  Eeep.  I think I made some progress.
All in all a good lesson.  I do think I made some progress... yay!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home