Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Friday, November 30, 2012

Back To Basics

I skated at Mountain View Ice Arena (Vancouver, WA) this morning for about an hour for a lesson with Sonya.  Had about a 25 minute warmup, then our lesson. We decided to work on rotation, since that appears to be a problem for me in a couple of different contexts

Today's lesson:
  • 3s -- Sonya had me first do a hockey glide and rotate the upper body until I had to do a two-foot turn.  Then we went to doing that and picking the free foot up after, and then to doing the turn.  We  had to do some remedial work on not throwing my hip into.  The take-away for me on this was that I had to rotate a lot more into the circle than I think I am used to, and be more patient.  The other was to really hug the circle on the check and not let my hands rotate out of the circle after the turn.
  • step forward -- this is another one of those places.  We worked on just holding a BO (LBO today), then rising up in the skating leg and bringing the free leg in and bending on to it.  I don't think I am nearly so mindful when I am doing these, which is probably part of the problem.  Hmmph.
That's all we had time for...  all in all I felt better about it.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home